The American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) honors exceptional safety professionals each year with the Safety Professional of the Year Award (SPY). The road to that honor at the National level begins at the Chapter.
If you are not aware of the “SPY” award here is a little background. Edgar Monsanto Queeny, son of the founder and third president of Monsanto Company, perhaps more than any other chief executive in the history of American industry, saw first-hand the tragedy that can result from an industrial accident. Mr. Queeny was president of Monsanto on April 16, 1947, when the explosion of a French freighter destroyed Monsanto’s Texas City plant, killing 512 persons, including 145 Monsanto employees. Mr. Queeny was appalled by what he saw as he viewed the destruction. A short time later, he wrote a report to employees and shareholders describing what he had seen and what it motivated him to do. It was, as a national news correspondent put it, “a masterpiece of restrained agony.”The loss and devastation moved him to place even greater emphasis on safety in the company’s operations. The firm’s enviable safety record to this day reflects Edgar Monsanto Queeny’s deep personal commitment to protect the worker from industrial accidents and health hazards.
It is in his memory that Monsanto Company proudly supports the objectives of the ASSP and annually sponsors this award for outstanding accomplishments by one of the Society’s top professionals.
Similar to the National award the Chapter SPY award covers the past five years of achievements and specific areas of accomplishment including: demonstrated knowledge and expertise, ASSP activities, professional contributions, awards/innovations, and leadership.
To nominate someone for the ASSP Northwest Chapter Safety Professional of the Year (SPY), please review and complete the forms linked below and return to the Chapter’s Awards & Honors chairperson, David Abrams, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASSP Chapter SPY nomination forms
Past Winners of Safety Professional of the Year
- 2021 Abby Ferri, CSP – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2019 Bill Woulu, CSP – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2019 Abby Ferri, CSP – ASSP Consultants Practice Specialty SPY
- 2018 Pamela A Hart, MPH, RN, CSP-Retired – Charles V. Culbertson Outstanding Volunteer Service Award
- 2016 Chris Flegel, CSP – Industrial Hygiene Practice Specialty SPY
- 2016 Jeff Jarvela, CSP – ASSE Mining Practice Specialty SPY
- 2016 Jamison Harrell-Latham, CSP – Northwest Chapter SPY and Region 5 SPY
- 2015 Richard Johnson, CSP-Retired – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2015 Carol A. Keyes, CSP, CRC – ASSE Consultants Practice Specialty SPY
- 2014 Carol A. Keyes, CSP, CRC – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2013 Chris Flegel, CSP – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2012 Scott Huberty, ARM – Northwest Chapter SPY
- 2011 Diana Stegall, CSP, CFPS,ARM, CPCU – Northwest Chapter SPY and Region 5 SPY
- 2010 Nancy Bendickson, CDS, CSP, ARM, ALCM – Council on Practices and Standards SPY and Transportation Practice Specialty SPY